Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

U.S DONATES $5BN TO MULTINATIONAL JOINT TASK FORCE FIGHTING BOKO HARAM


U.S. Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairs, Amb. Linda Thomas-Greenfield

The U.S. says it has announced a $5bn (Five billion USD) contribution to the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), to boost the military operation against the Boko Haram insurgency. The U.S. Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairs, Amb. Linda Thomas-Greenfield, announced this at news briefing via telephone from the African Union Summit on Monday on the U.S. interests in Africa.

“We have been working with Nigeria as well as the African countries innovation to address their concerns about Boko Haram because we don’t see this as just a Nigerian problem.

“We are having discussions with President Buhari on how we might bolster our support. We have already been working with them and providing information.


“We are providing some training and support and we’ll love to work with the new administration to see how we might increase the level of support to Nigeria.

“At the same time, we’ve just announced at the venue of the AU, five billion dollars contribution to the Multinational Task Force.

“We are also providing some equipment and support and we have a number of meetings with the countries who are members of the Multinational Joint Task Force to look at other areas we might support,” the top diplomat said.

According to her, the U.S. is providing a strong support to AU on security as the U.S. has a strong partnership with the continent on security.

“We are working closely with the Lake Chad Basin countries: Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Cameroon to address the issues of Boko Haram,” she said.

She said that U.S. had so far trained about 250,000 African peacekeepers, saying U.S. highest priority in Africa remained security.

No comments:

Post a Comment